Ferrari 290 MM from 1956, built by Scaglietti, was auctioned for $22,005,000. The legendary Juan Manuel Fangio and Ser Stirling Mos also sat behind his wheel.
This Ferrari 290 MM is the fourth and final copy that has been made. Its racing debut was in 1956 in the race “Mille Miglia” in the 860 Monza configurations. Its heart was then a four-cylinder aggregate with a working capacity of 3.5 liters. Peter Collins and Luis Klemantsky, who took second place in the general placement, were sitting behind his wheel. The successful race year continued when this model in the race “Targa Florio” in Sicily won the fourth place.
After the first, extremely successful year, the Ferrari has been upgraded to a 290-mile configuration. At that time, the V12 aggregate of the working volume of 3.5 liters was inserted into it, and the car continued to produce great results in the races. It participated in races such as “12 Hours of Sebring”, “Bahamas Speed Weeks” and others. This model has won the race in the Bahamas in the races: “Memorial Race” and “Nassau Trophy Race”, with Ser Stirling Moss behind it.
After the Sebring race in 1957, this model was sold to a single private owner, but it continued to appear on racing. Since then, it has been owned by a large number of people, and in 2011 it was completely restored by Ferrari Classic. It was exhibited in Ferrari museums in Maranello and Modena.
Another Ferrari 290MM, whom drove legendary Fangio, was auctioned in 2015 for $28 million.