After two years on the market, the two historic homes in Kalorama that housed the Textile Museum for 90 years have been sold for $19 million to a private individual who preferred to remain anonymous. The homes at 2320 and 2330 S St. NW, totaling 27,000 square feet between them, feature a 7,000-square-foot formal garden with city views. They were originally listed in June 2013 for $22 million. Proceeds from the sale will go to the Textile Museum endowment at GWU to provide continuing support for its operations and programs.
American forester, philanthropist and prominent Washingtonian George Hewitt Myers commissioned 2320 S St. NW in 1912. It was designed by John Russell Pope, who also designed the Jefferson Memorial, the National Archives building and the West Building of the National Gallery of Art. The home was completed in 1915.
A decade later, Myers acquired the adjacent mansion, designed by famed architect Waddy Butler Wood. Myers’ extensive textile collection was moved to 2330 S in 1925. Following his death in 1957, the original home was used for staff offices and storage.
Together, the mansions served as the Textile Museum’s home through the end of 2013, when it closed to prepare for its move to the university’s Foggy Bottom campus, where it reopened in March as the George Washington University Museum and the Textile Museum, that houses both the Textile Museum’s internationally renowned collection and pieces owned by the university, including the Albert H. Small Washingtoniana Collection.