Historic neo-Federal townhouse at 684 Park Avenue that was designed by McKim, Mead & White in a row of Georgian inspired landmarked buildings, which also served as flagship for the Queen Sofía Spanish Institute, a center for cultural events, language classes, lectures, concerts and art exhibitions, has been listed on sale by Christie’s International Real Estate. The six-story building, which received landmark designation in 1970 is on the market, priced a $48 million.
Encompassing over 11,000 square feet, this 26-foot wide mansion retains much of its original grandeur and magnificent architectural details. With elegant tall archways, the impressive marble foyer is anchored by an elegant curved marble staircase with a wrought iron railing that leads to the upper levels. The entertaining spaces include a grand parlor with a dramatic expanse of 3 floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Park Avenue, original hardwood flooring, a fireplace with a carved mantelpiece and a soaring ceiling accentuated by beautiful plaster molding. The library features hand-crafted wood paneling and has a large 26 x 29 garden terrace, ideal for entertaining.
This special home was originally built in 1926 as a residence for Oliver D. Filley and his wife Mary Pyne Filley, who was the daughter of Percy R. Pyne, a distinguished Manhattan financier and philanthropist. In 1965, the building was donated to the Queen Sofia Spanish Institute by Margaret Rockefeller Strong, Marquesa de Cuevas. The Queen Sofía Spanish Institute was founded in 1954 to promote greater awareness and understanding of the culture of the Spanish-speaking world in the United States.