In tribute to the Opus X, the rarest cigar in the world, according to some connoisseurs. A cigar as unique as its history… The world of a Cuban family with a most remarkable story, involving some of the most remarkable cigars around. Let’s go back to the mid-80s. Carlos Fuente was exploring an area near Santiago in the Dominican Republic, which bore a strange resemblance to the “Pinard del rio” valley, from where the legend of Cuban cigars sprang. He had the idea of growing tobacco plants there: but not just any plants, wrapper tobacco. Yes, wrapper tobacco in Santo Domingo. The whole industry took him for a madman. Be that as it may, he persisted and he succeeded. In a feat of farming, the tobacco emerging from Château de la Fuente is unique, boasting an exceptional power and wealth of aroma.
And while the vast majority of cigars comprise 5 tobacco leaves (wrapper, binder and 3 more leaves for filler), the Opus X has 9! Why, you might ask? Carlito’s answer is simple: “So that in every puff, you will discover a surprise.” In fact, every module is composed like a book, with its own introduction and chapters. However the Torcedores (the cigar makers) did not go along with this, and refused to make such cigars. Carlito had no hesitation; to make his dream come true, he created a school of Torcedores where he spent 10 months teaching his new recruits his vision of cigars.
In another successful feat, in 1992 the first Opus X emerged from Tabacalera Fuente, making it the first Dominican Puro (cigar deriving all its leaves from the same source). As the ultimate perfectionists, the Fuente family choose to “mature” them for at least 2 years before exporting, for the aromas of the various tobaccos to make a harmonious blend. What more is there to say, except that the whole world is latching onto the Opus X?
But this cigar is not just innovative for its design and tobacco. Its factory is completely unique, similar in many points to the Hublot watchmaking manufacture: 300 employees work there, as at Hublot, organised in workshops. The Opus X has a whole dedicated room, just like the complications at Hublot, where the Master Torcedores have their own domain, like the Master Watchmakers: they are both hotbeds of expert hands, know-how and exclusively reserved components. The similarities in organisation are striking… The Hublot and Arturo Fuente boutiques are even neighbours in Las Vegas.
But that is not all. Carlos Fuente Sr and Carlito Fuente have a deep love for their adopted home, the Dominican Republic. This country has many abandoned or orphaned children. Carlito is very aware of this scourge, to combat which he set up a School and Foundation in the heart of the tobacco plantations, with all the facilities necessary to house the children until they reach maturity. Giving and sharing – once more an outlook similar to that of Hublot, which never fails to tie in its events and operations with its ambassadors for the benefit of foundations and charity actions worldwide.
King Power Arturo Fuente Tehnical Secifications
- References 703.OX.3113.HR.OPX12; King Gold version. Limited series of 100 pieces numbered from 0/100 to 100/100; 703.CI.3113.HR.OPX12; Ceramic version. Limited series of 200 pieces numbered from 0/200 to 200/200
- Case King Power – Diameter 48 mm in 18K King Gold or microblasted ceramic
- Bezel 18K King Gold or Black ceramic; 6 H-shaped relief black PVD titanium screws
- Crystal Sapphire Ǿ 35.50×3.00 mm, with anti-reflective coating
- Bezel Lugs Black composite resin
- Lateral inserts Black composite resin
- Crown 18K King Gold satin-finished or micro-blasted black ceramic; Black rubber insert
- Push-pieces 2 push pieces 18K King Gold or ceramic; Black rubber insert
- Case-back 18K King Gold or ceramic; Exclusive Arturo Fuente illustration transfer celebrating the 100th anniversary
- Water resistance 10 ATM, i.e. approx 100 metres
- Dial Matt brown, with 18K King gold platted indexes with black SuperLuminova™; Fuentes cigar logo transfer at 6 o’clock
- Hands Satin-finished 18K red gold hands with black SuperLuminova™
- Movement HUB4100 Mechanical chronograph with automatic winding
- No. of components 252
- Jewels 27
- Power reserve Approximately 42 hours
- Strap Adjustable black rubber and brown Hornback alligator strap with white stitching
- Clasp King Gold version: satin finished King Gold cap, black PVD deployant buckle.; Ceramic version: micro-blasted black PVD titanium deployant buckle.
The King Power Arturo Fuente limited series is delivered in a genuine cigar case developed specially by Hublot, a blend between Macassar ebony and carbon. The top contains an exclusive OPUS X ring accompanied by the Hublot logo signature.
To mark the presentation of this watch, Arturo Fuente has created a special edition of OPUS X cigars for Hublot, with special rings.