Got an extra $200k in your bank account and can’t decide what to do with it? Well Audi has just announced the pricing for its limited-edition 2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder, which starts at $210,000 (excluding taxes and a $1,200 destination charge). With just 333 units to be built worldwide, and only 50 of those bound for the U.S., the hand-built Audi R8 GT Spyder isn’t just a high-performance roadster, it’s an extremely exclusive one.
Even lighter, more powerful and captivating, the Audi R8 GT Spyder delivers breathtaking performance. The open-top flagship version of the high-performance sports Coupe features a 5.2-liter V10 with direct injection and has been boosted to an output of 560 horsepower. With the reduced weight and increased engine performance, the R8 GT Spyder accelerates from zero to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds and reaches a top speed of 197 mph.
Like its hardtop sibling, the GT Spyder sports carbon-fiber panels and trim, including a front splitter, rear spoiler and rear bumper with integrated diffuser. Combined with a lighter transmission, wheels and brakes, examples of the R8 GT Spyder bound for the U.S. each lose 107 pounds over non-GT Spyders. In addition to the fancy aero and lighter components, the 2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder, like the coupe, also gets 19-inch wheels and a 0.4-inch lower suspension.
Options on the 2012 Audi R8 GT Sypder will most likely be the same or similar as on the coupe, which includes an enhance leather package, Audi’s MMI infotainment system, a Bang & Olufson sound system and various wheel and brake choices. The Spyder also features a microphone built into the driver’s seatbelt to allow for clearer handsfree calling with the top down.
The R8 GT Spyder customer vehicle will begin shipping this month, and one will be auctioned off at the Boca Raton Concours d’Elegance Gala on February 25th.
And, for a highlight list of features, specs, and equipment, check out this list:
R8 GT Spyder Standard Features | Highlights:
- 5.2L 10-cylinder, gasoline engine, aluminum block
- quattro® all-wheel-drive
- Exterior mirrors: power adjustable, heated Front Airbags: Driver and passenger full-size dual-stage front airbags and knee airbags
- Side airbags: Driver and passenger seat mounted head and thorax airbags
- Front disc brakes: 8-Piston calipers, perforated, internally vented
- Rear disc brakes: 4-Piston calipers, perforated, internally vented
- LED headlights and daytime running lights
- Sport seats, heated, 10-way power with 4-way power lumbar
- Audi navigation system plus, 6-disc CD changer, Sirius Satellite Radio, Aux-in jack with 7 speakers and 5-channel amplifier with a total output of 140 Watts
- Preparation for mobile phone (Bluetooth®) with seatbelt microphone
R8 GT Specific Standard Features | Highlights:
- 19″ R8 GT wheels with summer performance tires
- R tronic ®, 6-speed sequential gearbox with shift-by-wire technology and sports mode
- R8 GT specific sport suspension system
- R8 GT specific carbon fiber matte exterior mirrors
- R8 GT specific LED tail lights
- R8 GT specific aluminum door sill inserts
- R8 GT specific steering wheel
- R8 GT specific sport seats in Alcantara and leather
- R8 GT specific carbon fiber matte interior inlays (monoposto and interior door handles)
- R8 GT specific numbered aluminum gear knob
- Windshield frame in Alcantara
Optional Equipment | Highlights:
- Audi navigation system plus with Audi music interface w/ iPod® cable (replaces 6-disc CD changer)
- Audi Carbon Ceramic Brakes
- Bang & Olufsen Sound System (12 speakers 495 watt)
- Titanium Finish 19″ 5-arm-double-spoke-design aluminum alloy wheels with summer performance tires
- Forged Aluminum 19″ 5-twin-spoke-Y-design in matte silver look with summer performance tires
- Carbon fiber matte door and center console panels
- Windscreen Frame in Fine Nappa Leather (interior)