At SIHH 2013, Swiss luxury watchmakers Parmigiani Fleurier presented two stunning Tonda Tourbillon wristwatches (and a table clock) with beautiful marquetry dials that celebrate the spirit of music. Made with subtle art of wood marquetry (a process of applying pieces of veneer to a structure to form decorative patterns or designs), each Tonda is a true mosaic of colours. Paying homage to the two most influential countries in the history of rock and roll – UK and U.S.A., Parmigiani Fleurier has designed the Tonda Woodrock and the Tonda Woodstock, both with the guitar on their dials, with either the Union Jack or the US Stars and Stripes in the background. The tourbillon escapement of the exceptional Parmigiani movement is the guitar’s sound box.
Each marquetry dial is the result of 10 days’ work, which consists of more than fifty pieces of dyed wood. These have been designed, cut and then assembled with such meticulous care that the resulting dial appears perfectly flat to the naked eye. Bastien Chevalier, a marquetry artist designs and assembles the dial creating an incredible art piece.
Parmigiani Fleurier Tonda Woodstock and Woodrock
- Movement: PF 510 hand-wound.
- Functions: Hours, Minutes, Central second, One week power reserve indication, Tourbillon.
- 3-part round case: Ø 42 mm.
- Thickness: 11.5 mm.
- Material: 18 ct rose gold. Polished finish.
- Water resistance: 30 m.
- Anti-reflective sapphire crystal.
- Bezel engraved “Gibson motif”
- Crown: Ø 7 mm.
- Sapphire crystal case-back.
- Individual number, “MODELE UNIQUE” , “MJF” and “USA” engraved on the case-back.
- Dial: Special dial with Gibson motif in wood marquetry.
- Leather: Hermès alligator strap with folding buckle, polished finish.