Although all Oscar nominees hope to win the most coveted award in Hollywood, it’s not really possible. But even the losers didn’t go home empty-handed. Yeah, it’s not the gold statuette at the Academy Awards, but still is worth gift bag. Known as Swag bags, consolation prize valued at more than $45,000 include some nice goodies such as trips, training, facelifts and some weird – for example condoms, bizarre knick-knacks and even cleaning products. Bags have been put together by US company Distinctive Assets.
Dubbed as “Everyone Wins at the Oscars Nominee Gift Bag,” this year’s consolation will bring to losers $12,000 trip to Australia, $5,000 Vampire Facelift, $850 package of 10 personal training sessions, and $400 lessons for the nominee’s children. It also includes some nebulous things such as:
- Take 2: Your Guide to Happy Endings and New Beginnings by Leeza Gibbons, a book about “starting over; taking inventory, and getting smarter, stronger, and sexier with no apologies, no regrets and no turning back.” ($24.00)
- A six-pack box of Naked brand condoms ($20.00)
- Maple syrup, from Rouge Maple Gourmet Products ($120.00)
- Portion-control dinnerware by Slimware: “Portion consciousness is disguised in the design.” $59.00
- Tickets to the circus, to see “North America’s only all-kid troupe.” ($400)
- Hair ties. But they double as bracelets! ($80.00)
- A lint roller by Gleener, called The Ultimate Fuzz Remover ($19.99)
- Windex touch-up cleaner ($3.99)
The Distinctive Assets gift bag is not endorsed by the Academy but has been creating consolation goodie bags for 11 years now. The bags are delivered to the losing nominees to their homes directly or through their agents or publicists. They can be used only by losing nominees, and cannot be given to friends.
‘It was a way for us to reach the exact talent we wanted [major nominees] without having to deal with the immense production challenges of the Hollywood/Highland area during Oscar week,’ said Distinctive Assets CEO Lash Fary to ABCNews.com.
So, there is no barter! If you won a ‘portion-controlled’ dinnerware or the swanky sweatshirts, emblazoned with the Oscar logo, you have to use it! Well, what can I say? A little bit more effort for the next year!